Wearing wigs is a wonderful way to protect your natural hair, switch up your style, or just feel more confident! If you’ve ever looked into buying a high-quality wig you know that they typically don’t come cheap. While they are well worth the investment, it’s important that you’re using proper wig care to keep them looking as good as possible for as long as possible.
Know what Type of Wig you Have
There are two types of wigs. Human hair and synthetic. Human hair wigs are stronger and tend to look more natural but come with a higher price tag. Synthetic wigs are not as durable but can still look amazing and are easier to find within your budget. Each type requires slightly different wig care, so be sure you know what type of wig you’re purchasing.
Wig Care to Keep your Wigs looking Great
The best way to store your wigs and keep them looking fresh for their next use is by keeping them in an upright position. This can either be placed on a mannequin head or hanging on a wig hook. It’s also important to keep them covered with a hairnet or silk bonnet as to avoid dust collection.
When it comes to wig care, regular cleaning is essential. Following this very easy step-by-step process will ensure that you’re cleaning your wigs thoroughly, without damaging them.
- Brush the hair with a wig brush or comb to remove tangles
- Soak the wig in a shampoo-water solution. Be sure you’re buying shampoo specifically made for the type of wig you have.
- Rinse the shampoo and apply conditioner to the hairs only. Let sit for 2-3 minutes.
- Rinse the conditioner and immediately comb through the hair while wet.
- Place on a mannequin head and let completely air dry before storing to prevent matting and mildew.
While some synthetic wigs can be styled with low heat, it’s usually not a good idea. Synthetic wigs typically have preset styles set into the fibers, so creating a different style is very difficult anyway.